(This story originally appeared on www. sportscollectorsdaily.com)
He was a familiar face at sports card shows in the Upper Midwest for nearly four decades. The National? Steve Gold never missed one. His family’s brick-and-mortar shop changed locations a couple of times, but Chicago area collectors always seemed to find AU Sports.
The collecting community lost one of its most outstanding members late last week when Gold died of cancer at age 52.
A funeral service will be held Oct. 5.
MORE RESOURCES FOR SPORTS COLLECTORS
- Get current market values for 400,000+ baseball cards issued between ’81 & ’09
- Get the Ultimate Yankee package
- Interact with other sports collectors in Tuff Stuff’s online forum
- Sign up for your FREE email newsletter from Tuff Stuff
- Read the latest 7th Inning Stretch Blog from Tuff Stuff Editor Scott Fragale