(This story originally appeared on www.sportscollectorsdaily.com)
It wasn’t a memorable debut, at least from an accomplishment standpoint, but it was a small piece of NBA history. LeBron James’ 2010 LeBron James opening night Heat jerseyMiami Heat debut jersey captured the interest of bidders in the NBA Tip Off Jersey Auction. James’ black #6 topped all bids when he first batch of shirts closed Tuesday night, selling for $14,600.
James and the Heat lost to the Boston Celtics on opening night but the jersey still generated 44 bids and rose from its opening bid of $250 two weeks ago.
The NBA and MeiGray are offering jerseys worn by each team’s starting five during the season’s first games, while the entire Los Angeles Lakers’ roster was offered.
A Kobe Bryant opening night jersey took runner-up honors in the sale, having sold for $10,020.
More NBA Jerseys
MORE RESOURCES FOR SPORTS COLLECTORS
- Get current market values for 400,000+ baseball cards issued between ’81 & ’09
- Get the Ultimate Yankee package
- Interact with other sports collectors in Tuff Stuff’s online forum
- Sign up for your FREE email newsletter from Tuff Stuff
- Read the latest 7th Inning Stretch Blog from Tuff Stuff Editor Scott Fragale